This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Australian Wood Duck

Chenonetta jubata

Appearance:
female
Medium-sized dabbling duck
Grey body  
Two black stripes on back
Grey wings with black primaries
White speculum
Dark brown head
Female and Juvenile:
       Stripe above and below eye
       Mottled underparts
       White belly and undertail
Male:
      Darker head
      Mottled breast
      Black belly and undertail

male



 Learn more about the Australian Wood Duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment