This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Eastern Spinebill


Acanthorhynchus tenuirostris

Adult - Port Arthur, Tasmania
Appearance:
Long, fine, black,  down-curved bill
White outer tail feathers
Male:
     Black head, which extends in a line around breast
     White throat and breast, with rufous patch in centre
     Pale cinnamon to buff underparts
     Rufous-red nape
     Grey-brown back and wings
     Dark tail
     Red eye
 Female and Juvenile:
     Duller, with less distinct markings

As we were preparing to leave our rental cottage this morning, this striking bird flew past the car. Luckily there was a flowering bush next to the driveway where it decided to stop for a meal.  So, I quickly grabbed my camera and started clicking away, leaving my husband to finish packing.  Thankfully, he's used to my bird obsession and didn't get (too) annoyed with me.

Juvenile - Ripponlea Garden, Melbourne
Learn more about the Eastern Spinebill

No comments:

Post a Comment