This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Green Rosella

Platycercus caledonicus


Appearance:
Medium-sized parrot
Yellow head, neck and underparts 
Greenish-black upperparts
Blue cheek patch
Red frontal band above the beak
Long, green tail with blue outer feathers
Blue shoulder patch on wings
Yellowish-green rump
Dark brown eyes
Grey bill and legs
Female:
    - may have orange-red hue on the front of the neck
    - smaller beak than the male
Juveniles: 
     -under-wing stripe
     - dull yellow-green head and underparts
     - dull green upperparts

The Green Rosella is one of  twelve species of birds that are endemic to Tasmania. This means they are found nowhere else on earth.


Another prolific bird on Maria Island is the Green Rosella.  Their high, ringing calls could be heard most of the day as groups of them cavorted in the trees.  I have just read that a group of parrots is called a pandemonium.  No need to ask how that came about!

Learn more about the Green Rosella.

No comments:

Post a Comment